Saturday, December 13, 2008

I like to move it, move it....

Is it possible? Could this really be? I think that I may have felt Tucker move for the first time today!! Now granted, I know that I will not feel his/her little soccer kicks and elbows to the ribs for quite a while longer, but I have read that it is very common for women to start feeling a "fluttering" any time between week 16 and week 22. Yes, I know I am only 15 weeks along, but I did some reading online and it actually sounds like many women notice this feeling sooner than 16 weeks, especially if they know what they're looking for. According to the books, these movements are called "quickening", and they have been described as feeling like 1) someone tickling the inside of your tummy with a feather 2) a goldfish swimming around 3) popcorn popping 4) tiny bubbles popping on the inside of your stomach (to which Sean replied...."Like gas? It's probably just gas.") Now I know that maybe I am imagining things because I'm so excited to be pregnant, but seriously people....I'm 30 years old, and I know what gas feels like (sorry, TMI). I don't think this is gas.

On the off-chance that I am not losing my mind, and this was indeed my very first "Hello Momma!" from Tucker, here's how it all went down:

I was sitting on the couch, leaning against some pillows, reading the news on the computer. I started to feel a tickle below my belly button and to the left....but no where else. I thought it was an itch, so I scratched it....but it didn't go away. I thought maybe my shirt was tickling me, so I lifted my shirt, but the tickle continued. I stopped everything that I was doing, and put my hand on my belly. My eyes filled with tears and I started sending little thoughts Tucker's way. "Hi Tucker. I know you're there. Thank you for saying hello...we've been waiting such a long time to know what you're up to in there!" There is an amazing, overwhelming peace to feeling what could be the very first physical connection to your child. I can't wait for the day when Tucker's kicks, tumbles, and daily dancing in my stomach are a regular occurrence, and he/she can "communicate" with us this way. What a beautiful beginning to our relationship!!

No comments: