Saturday, May 9, 2009

Movin' To The Country...

...Gonna eat me a lot of peaches.....

Do you remember that song?

Driving over the hill from San Leandro into Dublin, the old school song from Presidents of the USA came on the radio. "Moving to the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches...." Love it.

But before that song, I was singing along to Paula Cole.....

"I don't want to wait, for our lives to be over. I want to know right now, what will it be. Na, na, na, na, na, na..."

That's when it hit me. Just about six years ago I had driven this same road, with Matt and Susie driving the moving truck and leading the way. We had caravaned from SLO to the Bay Area, and as we were driving over that very same hill, I had called Susie to ask "Where the HELL are we?!". It was the beginning of a new journey that day, leaving SLO and moving up here. I was following my best friend, following what my heart said was the next step in my grown-up life, and starting fresh in a new town. Susie's family was up here. I had spent most weekends up here. I (sort of) knew my way around. It was a leap of faith to not move back to San Diego, but I knew deep down that it was the right thing to do. Susie and I moved in to a little apartment in P-Town, and the rest of our lives began.

I remember singing that Paula Cole song over and over at 23, 24, 25, and wondering what my grown-up life would be like. I had the best girlfriends in the world, but after every not-so-great date or end of a drama-filled relationship, I would be reminded that there was more to life than just being 24. But WHAT WAS IT?

Now, driving over the hill into Dublin I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the life that I have. I am married to an amazing man, who compliments me perfectly. He is everything that I ever dreamed of, and I am completely "at home" with him. I am 36 weeks pregnant, and on my way to becoming the mom of a baby boy. We are moving in to a wonderful new home that we got to create, that is only minutes away from a fantastic support system of our very dear friends and their families. We both have amazing families who have supported us in every step of our journey. I know this neighborhood, I am completely myself with these amazing people, and Sean and I are about to take an incredible next step together as we become parents.

I am supremely blessed in my life. I have every single thing that I could possibly want or need, and I am perfectly content and completely thrilled by how things have come full circle.

"Movin to the country....."

No comments: