Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Belly-Touchers

At 21 weeks, I have officially progressed from the "Wow, did that girl eat way too many tacos last night?" looks to "Awww...what a cute pregnant belly!" glances. Yes folks, I'm pregnant....that is not a beer gut, that is a baby.


However, being visibly pregnant means that I have also fallen in to the strange black hole that somehow changes all social etiquette when I walk into a room. People touch my belly. People comment on my pregnancy. People remark about how I've "popped", or how I'm so much more pregnant this week than last. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind the attention if it comes from someone that I know. For instance, all of you who read this blog are in the "inner circle". Please feel free to touch my belly. Please don't hesitate to comment on my pregnancy. Please tell me as much as you can about what I can expect for the next 4 weeks/months/years. BUT, if you are someone in my enormous office whose name I DON'T KNOW, touching my belly and telling me your pregnancy/conception/delivery story is just plain weird. If you only know I'm pregnant because we happen to pass each other in the hallway every day on the way to the staff bathroom, please do not stop me for TEN minutes in the middle of the hallway to talk to me about how you never thought you'd be able to concieve and then thought about terminating your pregnancy until your best friend talked you out of it and your husband made you promise not to. I'm not kidding. I don't even know her name, beyond "Lady who Drinks Tea from A Red Cup". The same goes for you "Curly Hair who Works Downstairs". I felt a little violated when you asked what my baby's name was going to be. And "Phone Lady"....reaching out to rub my belly when I walk past you to greet clients in the lobby....SO not appropriate!


Now don't get me wrong, there is MUCH to celebrate about being pregnant. It's impossible to shower too much affection on a baby, or have too many congratulatory smiles thrown your way. And really, for the past 4 months I've LONGED for SOMEONE at the grocery store/hair salon/sandwich shop to give me that "knowing glance" because my pregnancy glow is so darn unmistakable. Just be reasonable people! If you don't know my name, it is not ok to rub my belly. My belly is just way too close to some other very private parts, and when would you EVER rub anyone's BELLY unless they were pregnant? It's just plain weird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I hated when people I didn't know touched my belly. Get your hands off of me! And my baby! What do you think they think they are going to feel? But just wait...you are out with your precious little Max, only a few weeks or months old, and some random man needs to come and touch his face and tell you how cute he is. Yep, we know he is cute, now get your germ infested nasty dirty hands off my beautiful baby. Mike used to flip when people would touch him! But maybe it is just people wanting to tell their friends that they touched the worlds cutest little guy. I guess that could be it! Hang in there and you could always wear a shirt that says "please don't touch!" Just an idea....xoxo